The thoughts, reflections, rants and other made up stuff of Andrew 'Highlander' Benn.

Saturday 1 February 2014

Content, Part 1.

Gotta have content. Ain't no blog without it.
So I thought before I go off on rants or start subjecting you all to too much crazy I'd give up this rather nice and straight forward piece, about one man and his Sandwich.

H.

PS, if you happen to know who Ivor Culter is, then imagine he is reading this story to you. If you don't know who Ivor Cutler is, go here.

-------------------------------------------------

Midnight Snack


"I pad through the house to the kitchen. The soft sounds of bare feet on carpet giving way to the skittering, sibilant sounds of feet on linoleum as I gently push the door closed behind me. Walking around the dining table I advance on the fridge, the door swings open, bathing me in electric light and the chill smell of crisp foods. My eyes rove back and forward across the shelves. Lettuce, half an onion, yoghurt, spread, milk, cheese…

Hunger pulls quietly but insistently at my insides. It is a pernickety feeling, it regards the foods through my eyes and turns its gastric nose up at them. Nothing will do, any option is metaphorically chewed and spat out, but the gnawing yet not severe pangs still come from my stomach. Savoury or sweet? The bread lies on the board, inviting like an old friend. The jar of peanut butter waits with a look if inevitability upon its earthy hued face.

As I reach for the knife my stomach growls, irritated no doubt by my lacklustre choice. It forces my eyes to glance round the room a second time. Chocolate cake sits like a rich uncle on a plate laden with crumbs and sprinkles, it’s icing winks at me with hundred-and-thousand eyes. Easter eggs on the sideboard twinkle at me with youthful allure, their wrappings crisp with the promise of sugar. No. The stomach demands savoury,

Then I spy them, the doughy oblongs peer up through thick cellophane, nearly opaque but revealing tantalising crusts. I wrestle with the knots, the slithery plastic moving like frictionless water over my  sleepy fingers. Then my nails catch a crease and the loops fall away and the rich smell of baking fills my nose, and my insides purr. The bread knife’s long shiny blade glimmers as I touch the handle, disturbing it. But it is caked in cake crumbs, brown smears and clots cling to the serrated edge like mud to wellies. Moving slowly, silently, I retrace my steps to the sink, letting the dribble of cold water ripple over the blade, loosening the bits. The liquid flows down the handle and chills my fingers as I angle the knife this way and that, using a nail to lift the last of the stains from the steel.

Vigorously rubbing it on my sleeve I return to the ciabatta. It rests languid on the breadboard, putting the brown loafs to shame, they, in their store-bought and showy packaging slink into the periphery, like over-dressed harlots. The ciabatta lies quietly, self-assured in its wholesomeness. When I hold it the crust gives slightly, and I imagine it sighing with glee as I trace the knife point over its exposed flank.

The crunchy exterior gives under the pressure, and fresh smells rise like steam drom a hot pavement. They dance around my nose, and I lick my lips as I fold the bread open. It tears apart, opening to reveal a landscape of fluffy, aerated peaks and valleys. Its there, on the bread board, a bready butterfly, waiting patiently as I go back to the fridge to retrieve the cheese and the mayonnaise.

The mayo goes on first. I use a spoon to tease the gelatinous whiteness out of the jar, to which it clings. I ease it over the landscape of ciabatta with care, filling in the valleys with glaciers of the eggy cream. One half and then the other. Then, picking up the hunk of cheese I reach for the grater. Stainless steel edges catch the light from the open fridge and it winks at me, trepidatious. The cheese, slightly sticky in my fingers kisses the grooves on the grater, which sclices off the solid, lactic sections methodically and rains them down onto the waiting mayonnaise.

When the second layer is done, the angular gratings jutting up from the seas of mayo I hold the nearly empty jar to my eye, reaching in daintily to scoop out the dregs, trying not to get any on my fingers. I suspend the spoon over the ciabatta, letting the globules fall where they may. Next the harsh crack crack cracking of the pepper grinder as it sprinkles black dots over the white and chalky preparation. They land haphazardly, clustering where troughs in the mayo form pits of piquant flavour. My stomach shifts like a restless dog, finding a comfortable place to wait.

I look down at my creation, it looks back at me, a pile of protein and carbohydrate that flirts with my taste buds as I turn the bone-white knobs on the grill. It hums into life, splitting the expectant silence. Slowly, careful of the scrape of metal on metal I extract the tray. I lay the ciabatta, with its precious cargo on the bars, like I would place a friend in a bed. It gets comfy on the tray, seductive bulges of mayo ease outwards towards the edge of the ciabatta as I slide it back under the glowing filaments.

Watching it sunbathe, I flex my fingers, waiting for the tell-tale sizzle of cooked cheese that now seems lifetimes away. Staring in at the illuminated snack I wait impatiently, my stomach wonders in a loud grumble if it will be enough. I look back at the cheese, the diminished lump lies on the breadboard, surrounded by crumbs and stray gratings. Nearby the packet of oatcakes exhibits itself, rough coarse-grain biscuits visible between the cardboard flaps. Perhaps.

Then the sound makes my stomach twitch. The crisping of bread, the sputter of cooking mayo and my eyes return to the grill to watch the pile subside into the ciabatta, withering deliciously. I can see veins of mayonnaise bubbling in the red half-light and deep browned seams of cheese slowly spreading downwards towards the heated dough. My stomach is impatient, yearning, aching, the hunger intensified by the immanent relief.

The smell on the hot air that blasts from the open oven excites it, and it drums my fingers on the table. Plates. Pulling my tortured gaze from the food I open the cupboard, the cold unfeeling pile of plates waits for me, making no sound as I carefully separate them and withdraw one. The ringing ceramic sound cups my ears as I lay it on the table and turn back to the grill. I can wait no longer, and slip a hand into the hot space between element and cheese to run a fingertip over the exposed bread. It is hard, browned and inviting under my touch. Sliding the ciabatta out on nervous fingers I manoeuvre it to the plate, staring worriedly at it, my stomach playing fast-forward films of it tumbling to earth to lie, upturned on the tiles. With relief it is placed on the plate, sighing as the heat escapes from its insides. Smiles of singed cheese greet my roving eyes and I waft the air above it to test the flavour. The pepper has descended into its soft mattress, cratering the topmost layer with marks that make mouth-watering promises to my stomach.

The ketchup bottle is upended, its weight shifting in my hand as the contents succumb to gravity. They track a stately course down the plastic, collecting at the neck, held in place by fear for the hot, rich mass below. A slight pressure from my fingers that caress the bottle propels the red lusciousness in a ragged spatter. It scatters in the air, spreading itself evenly over the cheese and mayonnaise. Replacing the ketchup I gaze lovingly at my creation, glistening and viscous on the toasted bread. My stomach growls threateningly and with the mien of a soldier baring a fallen comrade I lift the plate to my chest. The smells are strong, wetting my tongue as I nudge the fridge closed with a shoulder and cross the silent kitchen. The light clicks off as I pull the door closed with a foot and I pad back to bed.

-------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment